The Bethlehem Women of the ELCA (BWELCA) is a community of women created in the image of God, called to discipleship in Jesus Christ, and empowered by the Holy Spirit. We commit ourselves to grow in faith, affirm our gifts, support one another in our callings, engage in ministry, and promote healing and wholeness in the church, the society, and the world. Our mission is:
- Growth (Education) - to provide a variety of learning experiences which strengthen each woman as a whole person, develop her potential, and equip her for ministry.
- Community - to enable each woman to value herself and others as created in God’s image and redeemed through Christ; and to build up and celebrate relationships which are global, diverse and interdependent.
- Action (Stewardship) - to enable women to articulate and act upon their faith as disciples of Christ in all areas of life.
BWELCA is made up of seven circles that meet once a month except for July and August. A Coordinating Committee, made up of representatives from each circle, oversees activities involving all the circles. The contact person is Carolyn Hovick, (507) 388-1389.
The seven circles and their meeting times are:
- Mary Circle 3rd Wednesday - 9:30 am
- Martha Circle 3rd Wednesday - 9:30 am
- Rachel Circle 3rd Wednesday - 9:30 am
- Elizabeth Lydia Circle 4th Tuesday - 2:00 pm
- Deborah Circle 3rd Saturday - 9:00 am
- Sarah Circle 4th Wednesday - 9:00 am
- Mom's Circle 3rd Monday - 6:00 pm in the church library
BWELCA sponsors a Nordic Bazaar occurring generally on the first Wednesday in November. This event involves the entire Bethlehem congregation and includes a luncheon as well as the sale of lefse and other baked goods, books, antiques, white elephants, jewelry, crafts, quilts, and much more. All proceeds are donated to mission outreach projects supported by BWELCA. Funds raised are supplemented by Thrivent Financial for Lutherans.